Sunday, June 28, 2015

32 weeks with TWINS!


How far along? 32 weeks, 3 days. 8 MONTHS! I cannot believe how fast this pregnancy is going. We only have four more weekends until we have our new little babies with us. 

Size of baby: Creux weighs 3 lbs. 9 oz. and Callie Dee weighs 3 lbs. 13 oz. 

Total weight gain this month:  I have gained 5 more pounds this month. So, total weight gain is 30 pounds. I'm actually impressed. I was expecting to gain much more and for my belly to be much bigger than it is. I still have five weeks to go so we will see. 

Maternity clothes? Absolutely. Dresses on repeat.  

Sleep: Horrendous. Absolutely horrendous. If I'm not up with heart burn from hell or serious pain in my belly (which I thought was Braxton Hicks, but apparently it's dehydration- according to my doc) then I just canNOT get comfortable. I remember not getting much sleep while pregnant with Croix but this time around it's been brought to a whole new level of exhaustion. 

Best moment this month: I got to see the babies at a sonogram appointment. That is always my favorite moment. I love seeing them move around in there. 

Queasy or sick: No sickness or queasiness but like I mentioned above the heart burn is off the charts. I have recently identified one of the foods that causes my heart burn and you're never going to believe it: CHOCOLATE. What the ____! CHOCOLATE!? ….sometimes I still eat it and just suffer the out of control consequence afterwards. 

Miss Anything: S-L-E-E-P! 

Food cravings: I am craving Ahi tuna from outback dipped in that green goodness of a sauce they have on the side. John orders it every time we go and when I ask for just "onnneeeeeeeee bite" he all of a sudden cares about me not eating what is bad for me during pregnancy. BUT, we alllllllll know it's because he doesn't want to share and this is the perfect way for him to get it all to himself. So, now on my list of things for friends to bring to the hospital while visiting the twins: raw sushi, ahi tuna and a Blue Moon (with a fresh orange). Thank you.  

Looking forward to: I am looking forward to some quality time as a family of three these last few weeks.

I went to my first non stress test this past week. This is where they strap three monitors on me. One on each baby to monitor the heart beat and then one to monitor if I have any contractions. I have what looks like a detonator in my hand and I am asked to press it every time the babies move. Needless to say, I was pressing it a lot. The test lasts about twenty minutes and I get to sit in this vintage recliner with my legs propped up. It's actually comfortable…going two times a week won't be that bad after all. Well…here's where my first appointment starts to get AWKWARD (as usual…right?) ….

While the nurses are strapping me up to the monitors I asked when I have to start getting "CHECKED" ….you know….THE.CHECK? The check where I have to hoist my legs up in the stirrups and allow my doctor to stick his whole arm hand inside of me to see if I am dilating. I thought for sure since I was having twins that I didn't need to get checked because they monitor me so closely (wishful thinking, I know). Well, the good news? Her response: "Yes, but not today. He will probably start doing that around week 35". The feeling that went through my body was like no other. I felt so relieved. You don't understand what these checks do to me. Let me get you a visual: imagine your annual exam (no one likes someone that close up in your business…plus it's sorta painful). Now, imagine your annual exam x10: you're big, bloated, feeling gross, not cleanly groomed because you can't reach anything past your armpits, and just all around disgusting down there because the truth is things come out of your vagina when you are pregnant that don't typically come out when you aren't. I'm sorry to be so graphic but I need you to be on my level so you can understand why I despise these so much. 

Fast forward to the end of my first non stress test. My doctor comes in and reviews the test. He looks over at me and our conversation went a little something like this:

Doc: "do you feel that?"
Me: "feel what?!"
Doc: "you are having contractions"
Me: "WHAT! no I don't feel anything"
Doc: "Ok, well that's good that you aren't feeling them but I need to check you out to make sure these contractions aren't leading to your cervix thinning".
Me: "Wait. You mean "check" me? But the nurse told me that you don't have to start doing that until 35 weeks. I'm only 32. I hate being checked. Are you sure you have to do that?"
Doc: (With a strange look) "Yes, I do have to. I am worried that these may cause pre term labor and I want to make sure. I'm just being cautious. Get up in this chair, put the gown on and I will go and get the nurse". 
Me:  (Whining) "I really don't want to do this". 
Doc: (Ignored me…walked out to get the nurse).

I take my clothes off, put that paper gown on and prepare for the most unconformable situation. The fact that I wasn't expecting/prepared for it made it 100x worse. The doc comes back in and asks me to put my feet up and scoot down (you know the drill). He's in there checking me (I'm holding my hands over my eyes like a 5 year old about to cry and baring down with all my might). All of a sudden his cell phone starts to ring and what does he do?????????? HE ANSWERS IT! W-H-A-T!? Here I am, spread eagle, in stirrups, looking awkwardly at the nurse while the doc carries on a phone convo! I couldn't believe it. He just took this appointment to a whole new level. About 30 seconds goes by (but it feels like 5 minutes with my legs spread wide open for bacteria to enter) and he hangs up and says "sorry about that", scoots his chair back over to me and then proceeds with "the check". Wow. 

Results: I wasn't dilating. Thank goodness because these babies need to cook more. By my pupils probably were because I couldn't believe my eyes. Why do things like this happen to me? Or is it just that it happens to others but they don't share this type of info? 

Good news: I'll be back in two weeks. I want to take pictures more often since I don't know when I will deliver. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh I've been reading your blog and want to know how you went with your babies. Obviously you are super busy. Just let me know if everything went ok.

    ReplyDelete